Re: [Nautilus-list] script w/ mime handling

I think technically the mime-folder-hierarchy wouldn't be too hard, but I
think there are at least four major usability problems with it:

(1) It puts the burden on every user (or the installer program if there is
one) to put each script in the right place. This is much more error-prone
than if the script just "does the right thing" in the Scripts folder.

(2) Using the hierarchy in this way precludes a commonly-asked-for feature
of letting the user create arbitrary subfolders in the scripts folder.

(3) It forces users to think about and deal with MIME types explicitly. I
don't think we want to limit the utility of the Scripts mechanism to only
users who are thoroughly conversant in MIME types.

(4) If the Scripts menu reflects the folder hierarchy, then you've got to
navigate multiple levels of hierarchical menus to choose a script, which is
a pain. If the Scripts menu doesn't reflect the folder hierarchy, then
there's a hard-to-understand relationship between the Scripts folder and the
Scripts menu.

John