Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: native scrollbars (again)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On 24Oct2001 11:51AM (-0400), Christopher Blizzard wrote:

Darin Adler wrote:

on 10/23/01 12:01 PM, Christopher Blizzard at blizzard mozilla org wrote:

Darin?  What are the odds of getting these changes in?  They require
some pretty code Nautilus changes if done right.  ( Do you remember our
discussions? )

I'm a bit confused.

I remember discussing better web browsing in Nautilus with you, but I don't
remember us coming to any conclusions about what exactly would need to be
added to the Nautilus component API to make multiple windows work.

Well, we never talked specifically about what those API changes would be with patches or anything. However, I remember discussing what they would have to be in general. We would need the ability to open new views and be able to get a handle back to the new view that was created. If I remember correctly, you can't do this right now.

I might be able to help with the features you need, if you explain
them in a bit more detail. When you say "open new views", do you mean
open a new window viewing a particular URI? When you say "handle back
the the new view", do you mean the Nautilus::View CORBA interface, or
something else?

What in particular do you need to do with the new view, besides pass
it a URI?

When Mozilla calls back and asks you to make a new window ( say, for a new JavaScript window ) it wants you to hand back a valid pointer to that new window. This means that you need to create the new toplevel container for that pointer. In Nautilus' case this means that you need to create the view, realize it and get the native in process pointer to pass back to Mozilla so that Mozilla has a place to target content at.

See:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/ident?i=new_window_cb
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/ident?i=new_window_orphan_cb

We actually need to be able to create windows from a specific widget ( sometimes as a dialog which we handle internally in the view itself ) and sometimes as a new, real toplevel window.

--Chris

Regards,

Maciej

--