Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: [Galeon-devel] native scrollbars (again)

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 01:36:50PM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>  Please don't make the Galeon less flexible by removing preferences. If these
> preferences are of no use to you, it doesn't mean that they will be useless
> for everybody.
>  The best thing is to create "most important settings" page to contain the
> settings that are tweakable by most of the users, and burry all other settings
> to the 'advanced settings' page or dialog window. Or don't do anything and
> leave things as they are, spending the time on extending functionality.
>
>  Same for Nautilus.
>
>  Don't make unix apps as stupid as windows' ones.

I'll try to end this thread now as it's being taken up more constructively
on the galeon-devel list... Please direct any replies there.  However,
understand that the options are not being REMOVED, just not shown in the
preferences dialog.  You'll still be able to change all of these behaviors
with gconftool and friends.

I'm as hardcore a setting-tweaker as you've ever seen, but I'm HAPPY that
this is being done because it makes Galeon (and by extension Gnome and by
extension Linux) more accessible to newbies... We should have no problems
using our planet-sized brains to configure exactly the settings we want,
even though it's in a less convenient way.  How many years have we spent
doing just that with config files?

Bret
--
Bret Mogilefsky * Mgr. SCEA Developer Support * mogul gelatinous com