[Nautilus-list] Re: nautilus-list digest, Vol 1 #383 - 14 msgs

> Personally I hate apps with huge prefs dialogs. I can't find the prefs
> I actually care about.
OK. I personally DO like huge prefs dialogs. I can make the app do what I
want.

> The reason I mention RH bugzilla/forums is that we get a lot of Linux
> users who maybe aren't involved in the community, e.g. not on mailing
> lists and such. "Silent majority" perhaps.
Often people don't send feature requests becouse they doubt that they will
ever be noticed! Seeing little post about features means nothing. (I judge
from myself and folks known to me).

> Anyhow, anytime you think you want a preference, you should instead
> consider whether the current behavior is simply _wrong_, and should
> simply be _fixed_.
Just imagine. I think that this or that behaviour is WRONG, shout about it
on every corner and eventually it gets tweaked to my taste. Then you
download the new release and it works different from what YOU liked. It is
now WRONG FOR YOU but RIGHT FOR ME. You begin to shout, patch, fork off your
own project... The story repeats forever. Prefs are made to satisfy the
dissatisfied. The more prefs are available - the more people are happy and
actually use Nautilus and Gnome.

> > Fortunately, you CAN have it both ways: just make "Show Advanced
> > Options" an option, or borrow the Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced setup
> > from Nautilus.  Actually, I believe that a while ago there was some talk
> > about making the Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced thing work across all
> > applications for Gnome 2.0, but I'm not sure what became of it.
BINGO!  This could pacify everyone.

IMHO Having semi-intelligent defaults and no way of adjusting the way your
own computer behaves feels weird and too M$-americanish "The Big Brother
knows better...". Should all programs be made for the brainless and lazy
user??? Nevertheless, the defaults must be intelligent.

P.S. Fixing the stupid & non-customizable mount-eject behaviour and adding
of window-splitting would make a _major_ breakthrough.