Re: [Nautilus-list] open in this window / shortcut behavior

on 10/30/01 9:01 AM, Jonathan LaCour at panix-lists skinnee net wrote:

> I recall on Macintosh that I used to have the option to hold down a key
> on the keyboard (either option or command, I do not recall) when double
> clicking on a folder.  This would open the selected folder in a new
> window, and close the old window behind it.  I do not like having to
> right click on a file and have it open in a new window, as I beleive
> that the shortcut is actually much faster and would be recognizable by
> Mac users.

Yes. I was working on the Finder at Apple in 1988 when we added this
feature. We called it "tunneling". When you open something with the option
key down, the window you opened it from closes behind you.

> Is this feature easy to implement?  I may be able to find some free time
> to hack this in if I can get some serious guidance.  I am an excellent
> programmer, but I have very little knowledge of GTK+ and Nautilus'
> internals.

It might be easy to implement, or it might be a bit hard. The place to look
is fm-directory-view.c and fm-icon-view.c.

    -- Darin