Re: [Nautilus-list] Bookmarks in sidebar tab

On Sat, 2001-09-15 at 15:17, Ross Golder wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-09-15 at 16:06, Rafał Hajdacki wrote:
> > Are there any plans to create bookmarks view/edit in sidebar tab ?
> > I think it would be very nice for some people (those who like Mozilla
> > sidebar).

Here's my view on this, and a proposal:

There are other similar issues besides bookmarks:  We have MIME types
used by Gnome as well as other applications (Netscape, Mozilla, system
MIME types, etc), as well as .desktop files or equivilents (Gnome, KDE,
E), and themes (the latter of which is being addressed by "metatheme").

Since we won't ever convice all projects to standardize on one set of
formats, I have two ideas that I beleive make sense to address this
issue:

1) Create a control panel cappet, etc. with an option to synchronize
.desktop setting, bookmarks, and MIME types between various applications
(ala. "metatheme").

2) Create a synchronization daemon that checks the various settings and
synch's then automatically (FAM might be a novel tool).

This conecept seems to work well with metatheme, so I don't see why this
idea cannot be extended to emcompass bookmarks, .desktop files (or it's
equivilent) or MIME types as well.

Jeffrey H. Ingber (jhingber _at_ ix.netcom.com)