Re: [Nautilus-list] Proposed string changes to the Nautilus UI

Some thoughts:

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 10:17, Eugene O'Connor wrote:

> 2. Location: View menu
> Replace: Hide sidebar
> With: Hide side pane
>
> 3. Location: View menu
> Replace: Hide status bar
> With: Hide statusbar

Why statusbar but not sidepane?

> 4. Location: View menu
> Replace: Lay Out Items
> With: Sort

Not everything here is related to sorting.  For example: Manual Layout
and Tighter Layout -> Layout is probably more accurate here since
sorting is a special kind of layout.

> 10. Location: Edit > Preferences > Windows & Desktop
> Replace: Use Nautilus to draw the desktop
> With: Use Nautilus to draw the desktop background
>
> 11. Location: Edit > Preferences > Windows & Desktop
> Replace: Use your home folder as the desktop
> With: Use your home folder as the desktop background

This seems confusing, at least in my mind.  The desktop can have a
background, but that is independent of the things that you put on your
desktop (which is what this preference does, it puts different things on
your desktop).

Perhaps a new user wouldn't see it this way.  But then again, what would
it mean to a) Use your home folder as the desktop background and b)
Change the desktop background (last option in the right-click desktop
menu)?

> 12. Location: Edit > Preferences > Windows & Desktop
> Replace: Display status bar in new windows
> With: Display statusbar in new windows

Same concern as #3.