Re: [Nautilus-list] PATCH: add 'edit launcher' button to properties window

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Frank Worsley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> attached is a patch that adds an "Edit Launcher" button to the properies
> window when viewing properties for a file of type
> 'application/x-gnome-app-info'.
>
> It makes it a lot easier to edit the desktop items or making changes to
> the "applications:///" uri items.
>
> One problem right now is that Nautilus doesn't always refresh the file's
> icon/name after the file has been edited with gnome-desktop-item-edit
> (which is launched by the button). Not sure how to fix that.
>
> The other patch is for eel and adds two convenience functions that I
> used in the nautilus patch.

As a general comment, you should never do synchronous I/O in nautilus like
that. In this case you should use nautilus_file_can_read() /
nautilus_file_can_write(). (You also have to make sure to requets that
data to be read.)

But in general i don't think this is the right solution. Using
gnome-desktop-item-edit is just a hacky way to get something going, it
looks ugly and it's not integrated well into nautilus (e.g. when you
change stuff Nautilus won't immediately catch it etc). What we should do
is some sort of "plugin" notebook pages for the properties dialog.

These would be useful for desktop files, but could also be useful for
other things, such as proper ACLs if the filesystem supports it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a Nobel prize-winning devious card sharp with a mysterious suitcase
handcuffed to his arm. She's a foxy thirtysomething lawyer who believes she is
the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!