[Nautilus-list] Re: Build problems with eel (eel-background.c) on RH Linux Alpha

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 06:44 AM, Joe Pranevich corp terralycos com wrote:

Using the latest vicious installed and pulling from CVS, I get this error
while building eel. On first glance, it looks like a int / pointer size
problem with a 64-bit system, but I haven't look too closely. Looking at
the erroring line, it appears that we're casting guchar * to guint16 * --
but that shouldn't have a problem, I don't think...

That is a problem on some platforms. If you don't know if the char* is 2-byte aligned, then casting it to guint16* can be a problem.

/usr/include/bits/socket.h: In function `__cmsg_nxthdr':
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:271: warning: cast increases required alignment
of target type

Unfortunately, there's not necessarily we can do about this one besides turning the warning level down. The warning in question is -Wcast-align, and one option is to turn it off for eel altogether.

eel-background.c: In function `eel_background_receive_dropped_color':
eel-background.c:1386: warning: cast increases required alignment of target

This one can probably be fixed by casting to void* first or something like that, but turning off -Wcast-align should deal with this too.

    -- Darin