Re: PATCH: bug 76293 and bug 48317

On 29 Apr 2002, Christian Rose wrote:

> mån 2002-04-29 klockan 17.41 skrev Alex Larsson:
> > > Here's an Idea, why dont i make go forward and up all use alt-arrow
> > > keys. And than duplicate can use ctl+U, that will now be available since
> > > up will use alt+up not ctl+u
> > >
> > > would that be ok
> >
> > I don't like Alt-Up,
>
> It does go along quite well with the use of Alt+Back and Alt+Forward for
> Back and Forward. Easy to remember, since it would then make use of
> previous experience with the navigational shortcuts and use the same
> scheme.
>
> > I prefer Ctrl-<letter> for common operations, since
> > they are faster to use,
>
> Easy remembering should be the most important issue. A "fast" shortcut
> makes no sense if it requires re-learning to be able to use it.

Who says that should be the most important issue? If you want easy to
remember you use the menus or the toolbar. Keyboard shortcuts are a way
for users used to a piece of software to quickly do an operation.

> > and more "normal".
>
> I'm not sure I understand this particular comment. Could you please
> elaborate?

All our other shortcuts use Ctrl. Alt is normally used for menus and
mnemonics. I guess since it's a non-alphanumeric key it can't collide with
those though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a genetically engineered moralistic inventor She's a chain-smoking blonde
barmaid with only herself to blame. They fight crime!