Re: PATCH: bug 76293 and bug 48317

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Calum Benson wrote:

> Ryan Muldoon wrote:
> >

> > One thing that might be a good idea in the overall keybinding scheme of
> > things is to make sure that we're using cntrl and alt consistently.  I
> > seem to recall a while ago people agreeing on using cntrl as the
> > modifier that does stuff to the program, whereas alt is the modifier for
> > the window/wm.  Is that still the case?  Or even a goal?
>
> That's basically the approach we've tried to adopt in the HIG (with the
> exception that Alt also activates access keys), although I don't think
> we currently explicitly state that.  It would probably be worth doing
> so, although in the case of Sawfish at least, 'Alt' really means
> 'whatever modifier the user has chosen to do WM stuff'.
>
> Unfortunately Ctrl+arrowkeys is reserved for selection and navigation
> functions, though, so in this particular case, we can't use them for
> Back/Forward/Up.

But would you be comfortable recommending Alt-Back/Forward for browser
style use in the HIG?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American gay master criminal who must take medication to keep him
sane. She's a strong-willed tomboy mercenary trying to make a difference in a
man's world. They fight crime!