Re: [Nautilus-list] PATCH: add 'edit launcher' button to properties window

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Frank Worsley wrote:

> I didn't see those, I can change the patch to use those functions.

> I know that gnome-desktop-item-edit is a hacky way of doing this, but
> since it's already used in the 'New Launcher' menu I thought it would be
> ok.
>
> I personally think we really need something like this, because otherwise
> it's impossible to edit your menus using the "applications:///" URI and
> you also wont be able to rename your desktop icons.
>
> There is a nautilus_file_invalidate_attributes function. If I called
> that function after gnome-desktop-item-edit quit, would that cause
> Nautilus to refresh the file's icon?
>
> If that was possible, I think you should reconsider accepting this patch
> for 2.0. I think it improves the usability of Nautilus a lot, especially
> as a menu editor. Being able to rename desktop icons is also a plus.

I'd like to stay away from such hacks. They tend to stay in the codebase
and not be fixed. We have this on the most important place, the desktop,
and i think that is enough of a hack for Gnome 2.0.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a sword-wielding voodoo hairdresser who dotes on his loving old ma. She's
a brilliant extravagent research scientist living on borrowed time. They fight
crime!