Nautilus-2 and Fam not working together :(

hello,

recently I switched from RH to Gentoo. Om my RH-7.3 with Ximian Gnome 2
I had nautilus 2 dynamicaly refreshing the list views whenever something
changed - as I understand this was due to the connection to fam service.

Now on my Gentoo system there is fam-sgi running too but nautilus does
not refresh the file listings .

Now, where do I start to solve this issue?

- is there anything besides having fam and nautilus that I need to
configure on my machine? perhaps anything with the kernel?
- does nautilus need to be compiled with special settings
- anything else?

thank you for the great work on Nautilus 2
Jens Ansorg