Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: [GNOME VFS] EOG instead of nautilus-image-viewer

I'm not a developer, but I use Nautilus and EOG regularly for working
with our digital camera pictures.  It's really much more useful to me
than viewing pictures in Nautilus.  To me the main reasons are:

- It's much easier to navigate around the picture with the hand cursor.
This is very useful when viewing 1600x1200 images from a camera.  Moving
around within an image this way is MUCH faster than trying to use two
scroll bars.  Even with a mouse wheel, only one scroll bar can be
replaced by the mouse wheel.

- Using the mouse scroll wheel for magnification is a little different
from the rest of the UI, but it works great.  EOG has probably the
fastest interface for inspecting many pictures.  Try inspecting red-eye
with it and compare to another application and you'll see what I mean.

- The interpolation looks great.  EOG does a great job of using one
interpolation method for initial rendering, then going back with a
second pass using higher quality interpolation.  Try it out using the
scroll wheel to quickly zoom in and out on an image and the result is
pretty obvious.  The fast interpolation lets you see the magnification
ratio in real-time as you zoom, and the slow interpolation makes the
final image look good.  Try using it to make a small object (like an
eye) exactly fill a window and you'll see what I mean.  I agree that the
preferences for interpolation can be removed, but the two-pass approach
with different interpolation options works great.

> Unless the Nautilus viewer is actively broken, I'd disagree; let's fix
> all those EOG issues first. They seemed pretty important; why
> introduce the UI regressions.

Please try using the viewer before deciding that all of the issues
really are UI regressions.  Yes the interface is different, but it
really works better than any other image viewer if you want to inspect
many images.

Gerald