[Nautilus-list] Curious about design decisions.

I've either heard on-line or read in the list archives that the
original design of Nautilus was explicitly single-window. As I
understand this is the reason for a few things: the large default
size, the oft repeated recommendation to drag from the main view
to the tree side panel to transfer files, and the (apparently
rejected) opening of all folders in that single window.

Mostly from curiosity, but also as it may benefit other
developers, I have a few questions. I know the answers may take
time, so in light of GNOME 2.0's quickening I understand if
these can't be answered soon or fully. Pointers to or copies
of information would be most appreciated if those are available.

My primary interest is the design of the user interface, not the
code.

The questions:
  What was the original design?
  What other designs were considered?
  Why was the original design chosen?
  Why have what changes been made?

Thanks in advance for replies. I'm not subscribed to nautilus-list,
but can read from the archives so a direct reply isn't needed.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan