Re: [Nautilus-list] Tabs?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Gaute Lindkvist wrote:

> What do ALL of the different apps you are listing have in common?
> 1. Very little interaction between windows (or tabs).
> At most, you copy and paste som text from one to another. Common for all
> of them is that you mostly use each tab for a different purpose (different
> Websites, different IRC-channels, etc..).

This is simply not true.
A lot of the interaction between these tabs are actions such as
cut'n'paste (text). Drag'n'drop (URLs).

> 1. There are lots of interaction between windows. This is in fact a lot of
> peoples primary way of using nautilus (drag and drop from one window to
> another). Tabs are useless for this, and the only real way of doing it
> between tabs is copy and paste.

Not true. This can be done in the same way as you colud drop URLs on tabs
in Galeon. It is even sort of intuitive (even if it takes some experience
in computer usage).

> 2. I don't know about others, but I generally just use a couple of
> nautilus windows, from what I've seen of others, this seem to be the case
> with them as well. I normally use one window, and two if I want to copy
> anything.

This is true, but two windows clutters the desktop (at least in my
opinion) far more than one. Screen estate is important to me.

> In addition, adding tabs would potentially clutter up an already large
> interface.
> Adding it as an option may be possible [...]

I don't think so, but I do agree that this should be configurable or
somehow have a transperant usage (as in galeon).

.......................http://www.update.uu.se/~peterl.....................
Peter Lundqvist                              /'\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Studentv. 32:22B                             \ / No HTML/RTF in email
752 34 Uppsala                                ×  No Word docs in email
Sweden                                       / \ Respect for open standards

cellular: +46 (0)70 45 66 347
These two strings walk into a bar and sit down.
The bartender says, "So what'll it be?"

The first string says, "I think I'll have a beer quag fulk boorg jdk^CjfdLk
jk3s d#f67howe%^Ur89nvy~~owmc63^Dz x.xvcu"

"Please excuse my friend," the second string says, "He isn't null-terminated."