[Nautilus-list] Nautilus for Gnome 2 status report

Work continues on the Nautilus port for Gnome 2. The TODO file at the top
level of the Nautilus source tree lists areas of known work remaining.

All code marked "#if GNOME2_CONVERSION_COMPLETE" represents work to be done
too. The message a while back from Havoc that listed areas that need work
was a compilation of some of these. At some point, I'll compile a list of
them and put those in the TODO file too -- at the moment there's a single
item to represent all of them. The good news is that there are very few of
these left in eel (only 3 or 4 in code that is not already slated for
demolition). The bad news is that there are about 150 of them in nautilus,
representing lots of places that need looking at.

If you are a programmer interested in helping out, please take a look at the
TODO file. If you find something you'd like to work on, please send me email
to let me know what you're doing. That will help us avoid overlap. We
already have people working on getting the adapter working (Dave Camp) and
porting the list view to GtkTreeView (Anders Carlsson).

But I'm still looking for more people to help. Please look over the TODO.

Once things get working a bit better, we'll also need help testing and
sorting through bugs. It would be a big help if we could get through the
existing bugs in bugzilla.gnome.org in the Nautilus project and get them all
tagged with the milestone "future" except for ones that we decide that we
*must* fix in the Gnome 2 release. There are other things that ought to be
done with the bugs too -- far too many of them are assigned to the wrong
person, usually a former Eazel employee. When in doubt, they should be
assigned to nautilus-maint gnome org  We still get a bug report per day on
average.

I'm definitely looking for people to help with the bug reports too. John
Fleck has been doing lots of work, but it's too much for one person (two,
counting me). If you are interested, contact me or him or in a pinch you can
just post something here.

    -- Darin