Re: [Nautilus-list] New Progress Dialog Behaviour

I really like the work you did Martin.

Can we break it up into some smaller pieces if necessary for review and get
it into the nautilus source tree?

> * It comes up 1 sec after the operation started

We definitely want this.

> * leaves the dialog onscreen 1 sec after the operation finishes
> (currently it stays for at least 1 sec after creation)

Sounds OK to me. As long as it doesn't show up at all for < 1 second
operations.

> * provides a reassuring message about the outcome of its associated
> transfer (Completed/Aborted/Error)

Sounds like a good idea in principle, depending on the wording of the
message.

> * replaces the cancel button with an ok button at this point
> * pressing ok closes the dialog immediatly, so does cancel before

Definitely good.

But "cancel" is not a good button label if pushing the button just stops the
transfer part way through. We should use the word "stop", I think.

> * the dialog immediatly gets shown if a request related to the transfer
> comes up (avoids a clueless dialog poping up delayed behind a requester)

Great!

> * however, the dialog tries to avoid to get onscreen if there's no
> progress to report yet (this works around a lame progress dialog coming
> up if the transfer is immediatly aborted, without actually transfering
> anything). It then reschedules for another second.

I'm a little worried about this change. If you start a copy on a very slow
server, then you need some indication that it's trying to start up, and a
way to stop it.

    -- Darin