Re: [Nautilus-list] Usability - death of options 2

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:05:18PM +0300, χΡήΕΣΜΑΧ δΙΛΟΞΟΧ wrote:
> > Hundreds of millions of users get by on Windows and Mac without the
> > preference for what happens on inserting removable media. So the
> > burden of proof is on you to explain why it is required for a "usable
> > filemanager" - why is Linux special?
> It is special because _supermount_ is not included in the modern 2.4
> kernels and users have to mount all media manually. Existing tools,
> including Nautilus'es implementation ("Disks" menu), are by
> no means equivalent to the offtopic's behaviour. Moreover, there _is_
> preference for what happens when one inserts a disk in Windows. It is
> called "disable autorun" :^).
>

> > rationale. A philosophical rant on how you want a bunch of preferences
> > is not going to work. ;-)
> OK. Here is a list of what makes Nautilus a bad (unusable) filemanager.

[long list of issues snipped]

I think what Havoc(?) was looking for here was a more specific
discussion of the preferences you would like to see, and why, not a
list of your complaints about Nautilus.

> Is it insane?
> Should I file all of this as bugs?

It is not insane. You should file bug reports. But first spend some
time with the existing bug reports in bugzilla on the topics you've
mentioned. You will find just about every one of them already
discussed. The most useful thing in this regard would be to
familiarize yourself with the discussion that has already gone on, and
add your comments, rather than filing new bug reports.

Cheers,
--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/