Re: [Nautilus-list] Usability - death of options 2

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Вячеслав Диконов <sdiconov mail ru> writes:

Hundreds of millions of users get by on Windows and Mac without the
preference for what happens on inserting removable media. So the
burden of proof is on you to explain why it is required for a "usable
filemanager" - why is Linux special?
It is special because _supermount_ is not included in the modern 2.4
kernels and users have to mount all media manually.

Good, that's the point I wanted you to think through.

The reason Linux is special is because the OS defaults are broken; Mac
and Windows have smarter behavior. ;-) So a preference or workaround
here might make sense. But not because it's a good UI, but because we
are working around broken defaults in the OS we can't change
short-term.

If a preference is added here, it's not because preferences are good,
but just because we suck too much to really fix the default behavior.
Knowing the right thing before adding the workaround is vitally
important.

But I have to disagree with you here. I prefer to mount my disks. I like knowing that the zip disk won't eject until all writes are complete. I like knowing that my kid can't hit the eject button on the CDROM and disrupt whatever I am working on (like she does on my wife's win98 machine several times a day). I like having buffered reads and writes that let -me- work faster and smarter, without having to wait for the floppy drive to complete writing.

No matter how many times you say "windows and mac are smarter" you aren't going to convince me. I have daily proof otherwise.

-b I

--
So, make a real effort to avoid getting sucked into all the expensive
lifestyle habits of typical Americans.  Because if you do that, then