[Nautilus-list] RE: Mac Feature ----> BeOS feature

Spring loaded folders are a very cool thing with MacOS Finder.
But, before using it with nautilus, opening a window in nautilus has to be much faster than it is now (even if it gets much faster than before !).

I've got an "old" computer (PowerMac - 180 mhz). Opening windows in nautilus-1.0.6 take several seconds (5-10 seconds for my home folder, several minutes for /usr/bin !). I can't use spring loaded folders in this way.

Mac's finder is much faster for me (opening is made instantly and takes 1 or 2 seconds to be finished).

What would be much faster is the way BeOS puts the file system tree in the right click menu on the desktop. This way, you can browse and search into your disk in a very fast way without opening a window. This is also the way BeOS handle "moving to", "linking to", and "copying to" for files.

There is also a third party software that let you do the same thing on MacOS.

Such a feature exists in KDE's panel.

This thing is the killer feature I miss for nautilus and gnome.

There exist a gnome panel applet, "file_menu_applet", in development, that does this kind of thing.
The author is Benjamin Kahn <xkahn ximian com>.

Maybe the code could be reused in nautilus ?

Cheers,
Bertrand Dekoninck