Re: [Nautilus-list] A fix for non-ASCII characters (and hello)

lör 2002-01-19 klockan 01.01 skrev Owen Taylor:
> > I think one should be careful and distinguish between technology
> > limitations or more or less elegant software hacks, and user behavior.
> > The act of a user spelling something correctly (whatever the underlying
> > implementation is) when it's possible should not be considered a bug.
> > The implementation, on the other hand, may very well be considered a
> > hack, and if it later breaks something else like in this case, a bug.
>
> If we called a config setting presented to the user "accept broken filenames"
> that might be a little offensive.
>
> But the technology of storing localized text in the filesystem without
> an encoding tag is just entirely broken, and people should have known
> better 10-15 years ago at least; Microsoft got this right, after all...

Yes, I agree with you. My only concern was that the behavior of saving
filenames with local characters isn't wrong, but the implementation
(storage method) might very well be (and in this case has been). I
thought that this wasn't entirely clear from your first comment.

> So, IMO, while the filename might not have been broken to begin with, it
> got broken when saved to disk, and an internal configuration name like
> an environment variable, I think it is fine to reflect that.

If it's possible to solve in some cases when it's invalid UTF-8 with
some heuristics applied, I think this should be done. After all, the
user isn't to blame for faulty software behavior in the past. Grandma
will be happy to have her old recipes displayed correctly, and her new
ones will be saved with UTF-8 file names (but she doesn't need to know
that).

Just my opinion,

Christian