Re: [Nautilus-list] Constructive Criticism Revisted

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 15:01, James Mitchell Allmond wrote:

> >I don't think so -- I think the *part of my filesystem that I'm
> >currently looking at* is the most valuable piece of real estate.
> >I spend a lot more time navigating around a subtree deep inside
> >my hard disk than I do moving things to/from floppy and cd-rom.
>
> But you assume that everyone has a understanding of the file system
> structure and where the cdrom, floppy, etc... plays a role in that. The
> scope of a file browser should not be with only advanced users in mind.
> You got to think of the ignorant too.

Nonsense. If there's one thing I really do dislike about the current
system, it's having to trace the CDROM and floppy down in the bowels
of /mnt (okay, they're not *that* far down, but when you have to climb
all the way up from your home directory, it's a nuisance). And I haven't
been using Linux so long I've forgotten the days of "where the hell is
this stuff mounted, anyway?"

Which, of course, is why we have automounting and auto-creation of
desktop icons (which is a little buggy -- sorry I can't reproduce the
one I'm thinking of, guys, or I'd file it -- and may not be to
everyone's taste, but it works).

And one thing novice users *shouldn't* have to know about is what
physical drives are in their machine and what's on which physical
drive -- the nastiest 20th-century legacy of Windows, IMHO, is the
way it still thinks in terms of drive letters.

Anyway, my real point was that while I want quick access to the floppy
and CDROM *when I need to use them*, most of the time I don't, and
I'd rather save the screen real estate for other things.