Re: [Nautilus-list] Launching Nautilus on USB Hotplug Notification

On 31 Jan 2002 01:03:16 -0800
Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 08:41, Ryan Shaw wrote:

> > Hotplugging scripts are run as root, so I have
> > the following line to launch nautilus:
> >
> > su - ryan -c "nautilus --display=:0.0 > /home/ryan/nautilus.log 2>&1" &
> >
> > This works if I just run the script as root,
> > but it doesn't work when the script is initiated
> > buy the actual hotplugging (kernel calls
> > /sbin/hotplug).
> >
> > If I replace "nautilus" above with some other
> > GUI app (say, "eog"), it works. Only nautilus
> > seems to fail, with no output to either stdout
> > or stderr.
>
> Does it work if you don't run it as root?

if i don't run it as root, i get "su: must be run
from a terminal". if i just run the command

su - ryan -c "nautilus --display=:0.0"

as a normal user (ryan), then after being prompted
for my password nautilus begins spitting out its
usual "Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet
creation", but the GUI never comes up, it just hangs.

ryan