Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: 5 second timeout thing ...

Hi Seth,

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 21:16, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > 	So, as Jody fixes this we need to bump the directory limit, perhaps
> > double it to ~8000 ?.
>
> If its really linear at this point, maybe more. Is there a cost
> associated with specifying, say, 25,000? Does Nautilus always use more
> resources when you set a higher limit or something?

	Well - when I say linear, doubling the file count from 4000 - 10000
gave me < a 2x increase in time to load - having said that it did take
30 secs :-)

	The more telling problem is that of memory consumption; things start to
get really big at that scale - I think we have ~2Mb of
pango_glyph_string stuff with only 1000 files so ... ;-)

	I think until we sort out resource usage with large directories it's
not a good plan to make the limit too much higher, esp. with the rather
dire performance of Linux in OOM situations ;-)

	Regards,

		Michael.