Re: Funny bug

Hi Alex,

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 16:50, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > 	It would be good to fix the geometry saving, really, really good to fix
> > it - it seems no-one wants me to do this, it has the following problems:
>
> It seems rather like:
> 1) You ignore the fact several people believe that you're just working
> around the real bug.

	I'm sorry - which bug ? and whom ?

> 2) Your patch reverts requested functionallity.

	Well, given that there isn't a patch; it doesn't revert anything yet
:-) my last proposal went something like:

[snip]
        So, action item 1: Don't do geometry saving for the single
                           window browse mode - it just complicates the
                           semantics horribly.

        So, action item 2: Since we get a new window per URI _anyway_
			   we only need to save the geometry on window close
                           and restore it on window creation.

        Thus, we a) make C-n useable again, b) save thrashing the
meta-data, c) save hundreds of bogus re-draws making window dragging
ugly and d) retain the nice stored geometry semantic in 'open in new
window' mode.
[snip]

	With the addendum that people want to have the size saved:

[snip]
       Nevertheless - it's quite possible to serialise the last closed
window size for the non 'new-window' mode - but not in the meta-data,
perhaps a GConf key.
[snip]

> And I haven't seen you even reply to any mail that points this out.

	So What is wrong with that ? or are you hoping that this mechanism of
saving the size tied to the directory is going to do session management
for you as well - because that just isn't going to work well whatsoever
(!). [ multiple-sessions,  multiple windows of different size with the
same directory open etc. etc. ].

	Simply, we have to deal with the two cases differently - they are
different.

> I guess i'll have to look into it myself.

	Do that - I guess my list of bugs might be useful to you; it is acutely
buggy, it also opens a massive can of 'viewport' and geometry
serialisation worms.

	I'm not trying to annoy anyone, so I'm sorry if that is the effect -
but currently the situation is horribly bad.

	Regards,

		Michael.