Re: Thumbnailing

Hi Michael,

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 01:55, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> Is it possible to extend the thumbnailing support in Nautilus? I want to
> write a font-viewer, and it seems like the easiest thing will be to add
> thumbnailing support for fonts, and a nautilus view that will showcase
> one font at a time.

	Yes - it's relatively easy to do I think, some people will tell you to
try and solve this generically, my feeling is not to bother, but make a
patch non-generically and get someone more au fais with the internals to
make it beautiful later.

	So; you need to hack your font mime-type special case thing into:

nautilus/libnautilus-private/nautilus-icon-factory.c
                       (nautilus_icon_factory_get_icon_for_file):

	note the image & svg cases already there. The important bit is making
sure nautilus_get_thumbnail_uri is called for your file.

	And then you want to hack:

nautilus/libnautilus-private/nautilus-thumbnails.c
                        (thumbnail_thread_make_thumbnail):

	Notably, this is in a separate thread, thus you are not at great
liberty to call chunks of non-threadsafe code [ which is much of
nautilus ]. You just want a very small hook here to render your font [
however you see fit ] to a small GdkPixbuf.

	Of course you'll need to use gnome-vfs to read the data [ it might be
on a remote site ] and gdk_pixbuf operations to render it.

	HTH,

		Michael.