Re: Metadata caching

On 17 Jul 2002, Stefano Cobianchi wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm writing a set of Nautilus scripts to handle CVS files. One of these
> scripts analyzes the contents of a directory and sets the appropriate
> emblem for each file according to its CVS status. It does this by
> modifying .nautilus-metafile.xml (with Ruby+REXML). All would be
> fine if it wasn't for the fact that Nautilus caches metadata information
> and there is no way to tell it to refresh this data (apart from sending
> a SIGHUP - but it's rather ugly).
> How can I solve this problem? Is there a way to monitor metafiles
> for changes and update directory views accordingly?

All apps writing to the metadata is race-prone and can lead to loss of
data. You should use bonobo to contact the nautilus metadata object and
tell it to change emblems. I know andersca once wrote a small command line
app to do this. I wish we could include it in nautilus, but I don't know
where it is.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious skateboarding photographer with no name. She's a
provocative belly-dancing detective from beyond the grave. They fight crime!