Gnome2 development on Debian

Hi,

	Please excuse my ignorance in this matter. :)

	I am thinking of trying to play around with some of the nautilus2
code.  I am confused as to the best way to do this as I am running
debian which usually manages /usr/ and such directories.  I am currently
using the debian experimental gnome2 .debs but would like to compile
from source so I can play around with the code.  I am confused as to
where I would do this on a debian box without totally screwing the
package management system?

	I would assume if I were to play around with nautilus I should also
compile gnome2 since they are pretty interrelated but I am not sure.

	Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Taylor