Nautilus OAF error

When I try to start Nautilus (v 1.0.6_1) an error message
pop's up:

"Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from
OAF when attemting to locate the factory. Killing oafd and
restarting Nautilus may help fix the problem."

I saw that the path that can be displayed using oaf-sysconf
didn't point to the directory where the *.oaf files reside.
But setting the correct path didn't fix the problem, the above
error message still pop's up and Nautilus doesn't start.
My configuration: FreeBSD 4.5, Gnome 1.4, oaf 0.6.7.

Any hints how I can get rid of that problem are highly
appreciated.

Regards,

  Gero Haug