Re: Installing Nautilus on Gnome

Hi Scott,

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 20:00, Scott Hadfield wrote:
> then when I
> try to run it (while in gnome) the bottom panel disapears and non of the
> desktop icons have text with them, nor does the file manager have any
> text in it. I get the following error messages in the console:

	Sounds like a font problem:

> Eel-CRITICAL **: file eel-glyph.c: line 176 (eel_glyph_get_dimensions):
> assertion 'glyph_is_valid (glyph)' failed.

	Do you have a working freetype setup ?

> Please note that all aspects of the program appear to work fine, except
> for the missing text and missing panel.

	The missing panel is somewhat more of a mystery, but I suspect that if
you run the control-center, and poke around (a lot) you'll find the
option 'keep panel on top' - I suspect it is just underneath the
nautilus root-window, I forget whether that's a known nautilus or WM
bug.

> Also, when I uninstall gmc I can no longer log into gnome. After I enter
> my id and password it just goes to a grey screen and sits there. Any
> help will be much appreciated,

	That sucks indeed; try moving ~/.gnome elsewhere, and moving bits of it
back incrementally as you need them.

	HTH,

		Michael.