Re: Mime types and nautilus

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 13:20, George Farris wrote:

> This is why a clear indication from the release team about what will be
> addressed in 2.0.1 and 2.2 will offer hope.  I'm hoping that these items
> are addressed:
>
> Nautilus:
> 	Open tar and tar.gz files.

VFS backend is in place. Now nautilus just needs to support chain uri

> 	Open rpm files.

Would require an rpm vfs module. (apparently the rpm api changes alot
(so i hear) so i'm not sure how likely this is to happen)

> 	Better handling of unknown mime.

This is my main complaint. The current nautilus mechanism for this is
just kind of tricky. I see this as a major usability hole right now.
Basically it's just to hard to setup mime types right now (let alone
just open a file with an application when nautilus doesn't know the mime
type). Some times i want to just be able to click on a file choose open
with... and get a list of all programs and just use that program. Right
now this is really hard to do in nautilus (confusing too).

> 	SMB share support without password in location.

Needs to be fixed in vfs. Nautilus has a login dialog, but as for ftp,
VFS doesn't support it yet for smb (apparently from your comment) file a
bug with vfs.

> 	Web view via Galeon.

already exists with galeon2. however until mozilla is fully ported to
gtk2 we'll have issues. (basically most of the bugs i've encountered
while using galeon2 are mozilla related, it's pretty rock solid though).

> 	Shelf in sidebar. Drag files to shelf. drag shelf to destination.

explain a little please. What is this feature? Even better file a bug.

> GNOME/GTK:
> 	Better file selector.

On it's way in gtk 2.4

> 	Easy Menu editing.

In theory we provide a nice way to do this, it's just broken right now.

> 	Application launch indication.

There is a new free desktop protocol for this. I believe this will be
included in gnome 2.2 even though right now the lack of app feedback
doesn't really bother me since everything is so fast anyway.

> 	Consistent setup tools (Ximian setup)

Big problem is that ximian is no longer actively supporting the setup
tools. However Chema is still actively maintaining them. I think current
develop is aimed mostly at debian.

> 	Really good print system support with queue management.

> 	More documentation for developers.
> 	Documentation of settings available for advanced users.

Whats new... :)

dave