Re: [Nautilus-list] Activation problems

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
> On 3/8/02 7:56 AM, "Darin Adler" <darin bentspoon com> wrote:
>
> > Well, I did start to debug this. The stack trace would simply show Nautilus
> > blocked on the CORBA call to activate the shell within bonobo-activation.
> > Perhaps we can debug this together on IRC. Still around?
>
> Good news, sports fans.
>
> Michael and I tracked this down to a difference between gdk_get_display ()
> returning ":0.0" and g_getenv ("DISPLAY") returning ":0" on my system.
>
> Michael devised a fix, and will deploy it in Nautilus soon.

I don't know if it's relevant but I told Maciej the secret way to get
the canonical name of a display - getenv("DISPLAY") should never be
used here. You want DisplayString(display) which is canonicalized;
XDisplayName() is the same as the getenv. gdk_get_display() returns
the one that you do NOT want, as it uses XDisplayName().

I'm not sure if this should be fixed in GDK or not, cc'ing Owen.

You _do_ want XDisplayName()/getenv for reporting error messages to
the user like "can't open display foo", though.

Anyhow you need a canonical name to make per-display scoping in
bonobo-activation work correctly, for obvious reasons.

Havoc