Re: [Nautilus-list] Optimizations

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:
> 	One thing that I think might result in pleasant speedups is getting
> various modules to use the libXML SAX parser instead of parsing the
> whole document, dupping it and then freeing the original. If you do an
> strace -ttt -f nautilus you can see how much time gconf spends not just
> starting up, but then parsing new files when new 'directories' are hit.
> The same is also true of bonobo-activation.

I would love a patch to get rid of DOM trees in gconf. It would also
simplify the XML backend code enormously to use a native data
structure instead of the DOM tree. (I don't want the DOM tree for
saving, either.  No frickin' DOM tree. DOM tree = evil spawn of
badness. You get the idea.)

I very nearly wrote this patch this weekend, in fact, but didn't
because I figured rewriting that much code was a bad idea, and I was
just being weak and giving in to my evil rewrite-from-scratch
tendencies. ;-)

Havoc