Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 09:24, Josh Steiner wrote:
    > mkdir stuff
    >
    > Put the things there. I really do not save everything to my home *dir*
    > but in folders there.

    this is exactly what i was going to say.  this works just fine, and is
    really just so much more logical, users really do think of the desktop as
    thier home.

You know, it is very interesting to see how the attitudes have changed
in a year. I remember the flame thread was really long when I first
requested that this was added as a feature.. (because the symlink thing
we did had some side effects, I dont remember exactly what they were,
but it had some annoying things) So I am happy Seth added that checkbox.

This is still a hot issue, but looks like a lot more people seem to like
the idea now.

I have a theory:

        1. People who use Nautilus and the desktop to actually manage
           their files seem to like the idea of $HOME==desktop
        2. People who just use the desktop to keep a few app launchers
           with spiffy icons there dont like the thought.

This is of course very stereotypical example.

The problem we have is many of us hackers are very much used to the
commandline. What do you do when you need to move a directory tree into
a NFS disk? Do you drag it with nautilus, or do you use tar or cp from
terminal, etc..? One of the killer uses for nautilus has been digital
photos, I have seen many people get into using nautilus more because of
the thumbnails. Which is good. But I think a person who never uses a
filemanager for managing files does not really know better how the
desktop issue should be. Am I totally wrong? (yes, we have the choice in
case you belong to group 2 above)

Now I just want a solution to the "where can I put these dirs like
~/evolution, ~/nsmail, ~/whatnot that some apps want to create? Sticking
them under the panel works, but it is the most hilarious hack I have
ever done :-)

best,

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::