Re: [Nautilus-list] CD Burning or "in case you get overwhelmed with copious free time"

El jue, 28-03-2002 a las 16:49, Jonathan LaCour escribió:
> Just for your information... duplication of CDs is definitely possible in
> OSX.  Its actually pretty easy, although it certainly is not as intuitive as
> it could be.
>
> You run the Disk Copy program in /Applications/Utilities (it comes by
> default in OSX) and you make a disk image of the CD directly.  Then you
> eject the CD and run Disk Copy again.  Then select from the menu "Burn Disk
> Image" and select the image that you just created.  Insert a blank CD and
> viola, you have a duplicated CD.  I have done this many times and it never
> fails on my TiBook.

You are right, I didn't saw it.

> I think that it is important to mention that while the new Finder has some
> nice features, especially with regard to CD burning, it also is fairly
> boneheaded in many ways.  We shouldn't attempt to clone the Finder's
> interface, even for burning.
>
> I have studied HCI quite a bit (graduating with it as my specialization
> soon!).  It seems to me that the following should be the way we do this:
>
> Burning from Nautilus:
>
>     * Insert a blank CD, you are prompted with a dialog asking you what you
>       want to do:
>
>         - Create a new data CD:
>
>             This would allow you to drag and drop files into a standard
>             nautilus icon view until you are satisfied, and then you would
>             press "Burn CD" from the toolbar or through the menus.
>
>         - Create a new audio CD:
>
>             This would allow you to create a new audio CD through the music
>             view or possibly in the future through RhythmBox.  You can do
>             this in two ways:
>
>                 1. Create audio CD from a new playlist.
>                 2. Create audio CD from an existing playlist.

    - Create a mix CD:

        This would allow you to drag and drop files into a standar
        nautilus icon view until you are satisfied and also add music
        tracks. It should also let you choose where it should burn the
        data track (begin or end).

>     * Or right click on a mounted CD and select "Duplicate CD".  This would
>       create a disk image (dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/burnme) and then prompt
>       you for a blank CD, and then burn.
>
> I think that this method makes a ton of sense and takes the best of what we
> have, windows has, and nautilus has.  Although, its simply a suggestion.
> Nothing will tell us more than user testing.

I'm as a user (the developers also use our software :-) I think that you
are right, adding the "mix CD" option of course.

Cheers.