Re: [Nautilus-list] re: Desktop folder (again)

On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 02:02, David Moles wrote:

    Furthermore, it leads to a kind of split
    personality disorder where you're navigating one file hierarchy from
    Nautilus and another file hierarchy from everything else.

Exactly. This is what I would try to avoid. Why should new users even
need to learn that there is some frigging distinction between your "home
directory" and your "desktop"? It's awfully simple when you save a file,
it is right there, and you can move it to a "Documents" folder later if
the thing gets too cluttered.

    > So please don't make it the default and if some
    > developers really want it, it should be a option buried deep in the
    > control panel.

    Try it for a month before you decide you can't live with it. For the
    question of whether it should be the default, we can all throw
    anecdotes at each other forever. We need real usability testing.

A week seems to be enough for a lot of people. This must be some of
those strange UNIX taboos that everyone says you just are not supposed
to do and nobody knows why, except that it has always been like that.
:-)

I bet they had a similar discussion at Apple about this when they
designed OSX..

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::