Re: [Nautilus-list] re: Desktop folder (again)

David Moles wrote:

The Mac has had this for over a
decade and it blows my mind that no other OS seems to have figured that
out. (And now with Mac OS X even the Mac doesn't have it any more. I
won't get into that.)

Maybe there is a reason why  . . . .

That being the case, *whatever* actual directory the desktop displays
the contents of suddenly becomes an important place *in the filesystem*,
regardless of whether you're accessing it through Nautilus, or from the
shell, or from some other GNOME application, or from some text-mode
legacy application. If that directory is buried in some hard-to-find
place -- ~/.desktop, ~/.gnome-desktop, ~/.gnome/Desktop, etc. are all sufficiently hard to find as far as I'm concerned, and ~/Desktop isn't
much better -- then any files in that directory become unneccessarily
difficult to access.

But you think that it is perfectly reasonable to instruct me to save my Finances.gnucash file (or any other document that I keep in $HOME) in an arbitrary subdirectory which is "buried in a hard to find place", IE, I can't just type 'cd' to get to it?

If ~/Desktop is unacceptable to you, what makes you think that ~/Documents would be acceptable to me?

And another thing that I have noticed here a lot. Calling something a legacy app doesn't make it go away and it in no way makes what you are creating superior to it. People have been doing things a certain way since long before many of us were even born. What makes you think they are all going to obligingly change their ways of working because you decide on it?

-b

* Not directed at you personally, but at the entire community.

--
So, make a real effort to avoid getting sucked into all the expensive
lifestyle habits of typical Americans.  Because if you do that, then