Re: Remaining HIG Menu Issues

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Calum Benson wrote:

> Dave Bordoley wrote:
> >
> > Here are the remaining ones:
> > 1. Bookmark shortcuts. Currently the hig recommends "Add Bookmark"
> > should be Ctrl-D and Edit Bookmarks should be Ctrl-B. Ctrl-D interferes
> > with the duplicate shortcut. Are we going to be hig compliant? note: now
> > that the arrow keys are being used for the navigation short cuts ctl-u
> > is available and could be used for duplicate. Need a decision on this.
>
> My personal preference here would be to go with the HIG's Ctrl-D for Add
> Bookmark, and either choose a different shortcut for Duplicate, or just
> drop the Duplicate shortcut altogether (unless we know it's really
> widely-used).  Whether or not we'd like to resurrect Nautilus as a web
> browser going forward is kind of irrelevant I think; if there's a
> function on the menu that has a standard shortcut, I believe we should
> use that shortcut.

Yeah. I agree. This is what we will do.

> > 2. Home shortcut. Currently we use ctl-h, galeon use ctl-home, mozilla
> > uses alt-home and i'm fairly sure IE uses alt-home. I recommend going
> > with ctl-home to be consistent with galeon. I don't believe there is a
> > hig recommendation on this. Calum?
>
> Problem with Ctrl+Home is that with the current Nautilus selection
> model, it ought to move focus to the first item in the list/icon view
> without selecting it (can't remember off-hand if it actually does this
> or not, however).  Given our recent Up/Down/Back/Forward discussion, I
> guess Alt+Home would perhaps be the best bet, if it doesn't clash with
> anything else.

Ctrl-Home goes to the first item without deselecting the current one, just
like ctrl-arrows does.

Alt-Home seems like a good idea though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal voodoo boxer with a passion for fast cars. She's a
manipulative punk pearl diver in the witness protection program. They fight
crime!