Re: NFS/AFS and is_local

tis 2002-11-05 klockan 03.02 skrev Malcolm Tredinnick:

> This was a "fun" problem just before the 2.0.0 release when we suddenly
> realised that Nautilus would not run with NFS-mounted home directories
> (for exactly the same reason). Basically gnome_vfs_uri_is_local() is
> being used for multiple things -- "I can write to this", "it's a fast
> filesystem", [there are more, but I forget them all now].

When are we interested in the "it's a fast filesystem"? The place where
I can see it used is for thumbnailing and doing stuff like that.

Since the user in many times won't know whether a certain directory is a
mounted NFS/AFS or just another local directory I think we should treat
it the same or it might be very confusing. In this case we are only
interested in the "I can write to this" which should probably be handled
by a gnome_vfs_uri_is_writable or something similar.

I know I was very confused at first since from the command line you
don't see any difference between a local directory, a NFS mount or an
AFS mount (except that they all appear in /afs).

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/