Re: [patch] Bug 88585, Sorting of size column is messed up

Surely ascending size should be smallest to biggest, ascending date should be forward chronological time, and arrows should point in the ascending direction, this all seems pretty intuitive (and is moreover almost always implemented that way).

If we want to argue that invoking a sort (one click) should default to ascending or descending order, surely that's a separate issue to which direction the arrows point. Related to this issue (if you think about it enough)... currently if an item is selected, and you click on a header to re-sort, the item stays selected but is not necessarily kept in view; a lot of apps with sortable columns will try to keep the selected item in view (multiple selected items? too hard!).

Note Mozilla/Netscape always defaults to ascending after one click, as does fileroller. Gnumeric has a little down arrow with a->z means ascending as I've described and up arrow with z->a for descending as I've described.

It's a hard ask to guess the most preferred one-click defaults without doing user testing. When I'm looking through ANY kind of alphabetical column I will use forward alphabetical order, even if I'm looking for items beginning with 'w' or 'y'... just zoom to the end of the list. I imagine there could be lots of people who think this way with chronological items as well.

Once there is a 'definitive answer' on this maybe it should go in the gnome usability guide?

Darryl Rees.