Re: Nautilus user feedback

Calum Benson <calum benson sun com> said:

> Some random Nautilus feedback from a Sun beta customer using Nautilus
> 2.0.7, thought some of you might be interested...
>
> ---
>
> Nautilus comes up with an error on my home directory 'Sorry, couldn't
> display all the contents of "<username>"' - why not, earlier versions
> didn't complain. (And it really has failed - sometimes it only shows
> half a dozen files.) I've got a reasonable number of files, but many of
> my users have more. This happens on a lot of directories, actually, and
> I seem to get an error that may be related:
>
> ** (nautilus:12916): WARNING **: Hit unhandled case 9 (Bad file handle)
> in fm_report_error_loading_directory
>
> nautilus (still) thinks Adobe Fontlist files are postscript documents,
> so mistakenly tries to throw them at gv which fails.

Sounds like a problem with gnome-mime-data, should probably file a bug.

> nautilus can't handle jar or tar.gz files.

Yeah, whats new...

> I looked at a simple text file with nautilus and it failed to handle
> it. It generates an error 'The Text view encountered an error and can't
> continue. You can choose another view or go to a different location.'
> It started to display it, and then went blank. I get an error:
>
> DKIOCINFO failed : Invalid argument
>
> ** (nautilus:12916): WARNING **: A view failed. The UI will handle this
> with a dialog but this should be debugged.
>
> Nautilus shows a double dash ("--") underneath a directory. It should
> display nothing or something useful.

I'm assuming this is single click mode. This was removed from the icon view
in favor of changing the mouse to the hyperlink cursor, however in the list
view all folders are still underlined for some reason and the cursur does not
change on mouse over, i should probably file a bug.

> Nautilus (and eye of gnome) still give me a pink checkerboard when
> displaying tiff files.

I think eog uses a checkerboard background for transparent images, an example
file would probably be helpful

> After a little while, nautilus stopped responding to mouse clicks at
> all. Completely. I can't even close it. (It looks as though this is a
> stupid UI problem - there were hidden popup windows. For example: if
> you select a file and then move it slightly, a popup appears (asking if
> you want to change to manual layout). However, if you then let go of
> the icon, and click again, nautilus pops to the front, obscuring the
> popup, and the window goes dead. This happened to me on occasion
> without even seeing the popup flash up at all, and I've managed to get
> into this state several timnes now inside half an hour of using it. Our
> users are really going to hate this behaviour.

Yeah probably need to fix this by making popups of this type transient to the
main nautilus window.

> Nautilus has a pretty stupid idea about file typing. For example, it
> thinks README.it (the Italian readme) on the redhat CD is a music
> file. At least, that's what the icon looks like. There are two
> problems, really (1) it's getting the type wrong, and (2) the typing
> isn't tied in to the available applications. CDE is WAY BETTER than
> gnome here.

Sounds like another mime type sniffing problem.

> Essentially, nautilus seems thoroughly broken and is pretty well
> unuseable.

I wouldn't go that far..

dave