Renaming the "Desktop" release/product [Was: Definition of "desktop"]

<quote who="Alexander Larsson">

> So I think this definition is pretty silly. It's contrary to typical usage
> and the new meaning of  "desktop" is one rarely used. Therefore I have not
> really cared about any "inconsistancies" in desktop-usage in Nautilus.

Let's kick its arse, then, and rename the "Desktop" release category /
product name. We definitely need an identifying name for it, and it's clear
that "Desktop" is not great.

It only took half the G2D release process to get everyone thinking in terms
of Desktop, Developer Platform, etc. I think we can handle it again, and the
2.2 release is the perfect opportunity (mindshare/marketing/etc).

> [1] I once asked a mac user where a file stored on the Desktop was
> actually stored (i.e. I wanted to know what harddrive/share and
> directory). He was like, "uh? It's on the desktop, what do you mean?".

[ That's mostly because on OS x where x < X, the desktop didn't have a
"real" location on the visible disk - they were quite right! :-) ]

- Jeff

--
    "From my observation, when it comes to porting Linux to a particular
           device, a point doesn't appear to be necessary." - mpt