Where are my nautilus icons??

Ok, I just did a complete reinstall from the ground up of my linux box.
Gnome2 (mostly from 2.1, some CVS) and I am not seeing any theme stuff.
i.e. No home icon, no trash icon, no mime-icons, they are ALL that plain white paper icon, with the turned corner. The icons DO exist. They just aren't recognized, I thought it might be the nautilus version, so I upgraded to CVS. No help. Also, there is no place to go to change the theme, etc. Or, if I change it (GConf-editor) it just doesn't make a difference.

I could really use some help on this one, I've straced it, and can't even find references to it looking anywhere. All the toolbar icons are working fine. Like I said it's particularly the Home, Trash, and Mime-types.

Thanks

-Sean