difficulty w/ recent snapshots

My Nautilus 2 installation has a strange problem that doesn't seem to want
to go away.  I think that this was precipitated by my attempt to compile
and install 2.1.0.  In any case, I've uninstalled "everything" and
reinstalled a previously working snapshot (i.e. from the redcarpet channel
-- 200209080026) of all of the gnome2 packages.

Here's the symptom, every time Nautilus is started, I get an error box
that says that Nautilus is searching my disks for trash folders.  Then it
locks up (i.e. the Nautilus browser doesn't appear and I can't acknowledge
or close the info dialog with the message).

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Neil

--