Re: What the hell is wrong with Nautilus

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 09:58, Luis Villa wrote:
> I might add that starting an email with 'what the hell is wrong with...'
> is a very sure recipe for having nautilus hackers (indeed, most free
> software hackers) delete the email unread. It makes you come off as a
> total dick, which, after reading the (mostly) very thoughtful email you
> sent, you don't seem to be.
>
> Luis

I understand that might be how such an email could be taken.  However, I
have been using nautilus for a very looong time.  Many lists of missing
features come from people that are working from first impressions or
have no idea from this list what the issues are surrounding the why
reasons behind certain features have not been included in Nautilus so
far.

I have read the reasons and I meant the subject line to be eye-catching
and to hopefully provide a bit of debate.  I have no problem going to
bugzilla for a look-see however many of these items have previously
debated here in individual form.  However, no one to my knowledge has
put together a real list of usability features missing from nautilus
that worked from the perspective of someone that actually reads this
list.

Sure, I have seen long posts that are either thoughtful critiques or
feature request lists but not one lately after seeing all the effort
spent on performance tweaks and the progress since the Gnome 2.0 version
of nautilus has become public.

Tonight, I will spend some time in bugzilla trying to be careful not to
create duplicate reports.

Finally, yes I am long-winded at times, I hoped to start some more talk
of the general approach to many features that seem to be frozen due to
the inactivity of other projects for example.  Take another look at the
post and you will probably see what I mean.

--
Johnathan Bailes	BAE Systems ESI

 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---