Re: [patch] remove grody code, add spiffy new code for initial desktop population

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 11:25, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Here is my proposal for how to do this:
>   http://lists.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2002-June/msg00110.html
>
> It lets you include upgrade scripts, or add different defaults for
> different users, etc.

OK, interesting.  Some questions:

Should "desktop-directory-update" be run every time the user logs in?
Will it automatically add new icons to an existing desktop?

Also, if I understand correctly then, nautilus would depend on
desktop-directory-utils?

I'm definitely interested in this package, because I maintain a package
called "desktop-base" in Debian which has .desktop files which should be
common between GNOME and KDE.

> "desktop-directory-utils" is updated slightly in CVS vs. the tarball,
> I think. I can give you a freedesktop.org cvs account if you're
> interested in looking at it and send me a login/crypted password.

OK, I sent you a private mail with this.