Re: [Usability]Re: PATCH: Bug 82107, Turn off nautilus sidebar and location bar by default

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 10:01, Damien Covey wrote:
> Enver ALTIN wrote:
> >On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 10:19, Jon Kåre Hellan wrote:
> >>Another vote for keeping the location bar and the sidebar.
> >Yet another vote for keeping the location bar and removing the sidebar
> >by default.
> >
> >And personally I think, nautilus looks somewhat, well, thick.
> >
> >I'm running a w2k box, next to my linux box, win32 explorer provides a
> >poor but more viable/useful content; rather than a beautiful look.
> >Nautilus just rocks, but please, could we have, *thinner* lines (smaller
> >toolbar [icons, buttons]/location bar) overall the application?
>
> Agree here.  There seems to be much space wasted by rather 'thick'
> toolbars.  The icon size seems OK to me but there is just so much
> 'padding' around the icons that the toolbars are inevitably thick.

And what I wonder is, the nice *thin* look idea would apply to whole
GNOME desktop and applications being developed/ported with this idea in
mind. The perfect look, usability and success of GNOME applications like
Evolution and Galeon doesn't seem to be a surprise.

Both Galeon and Evolution provide a thin, simple UI with elegant
toolbars; really useful/verbose enough status bars on most dialog-boxes
saving a similar, GNOMish look'n'feel.

Again, nautilus2 is; very close to perfect, in most cases. It's first
thing a first-time GNOMEr faces with. As people need more, they start
using Galeon, Evolution, AbiWord, Gnumeric alikes, obviously they will
feel the difference that, nautilus2 has useless things which just waste
space on the screen, IMHO.

Just my 2.5 cents,
--
Enver ALTIN (a.k.a. skyblue)   - Software developer, generic solvent
http://enver.casdb.com/        - mailto: ealtin at casdb dot com