Re: Open Terminal here (was Re: PATCH: Bug 82463)

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 22:05, David Lazaro wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 13:48, Anne et Bertrand wrote:
> > I agree that there is no use for an "open terminal item" in the desktop
> > context menu, the panel let you open a terminal more quickly !. But
> > there should be on keystroke available all other gnome's apps to open
> > it (like CTRL-T, if DEL is choosen for "move to trash" ?). With
> > Sawfish/Enlightenment, I
> > did this keystroke. I can't with Metacity.
>
> Slightly OOT and it is only documented in the README for now but the
> fact is you can. Go to the GConf editor and define new commands for any
> of the /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_* keys. Then change
> the key binding in /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_* key.
>
> A practical example (from the command line):
>
> $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_1
> --type=string "gnome-terminal --geometry=80x40"
> $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_1
> --type=string "<Control><Alt>T"
>
> Then push Ctrl-Alt-T and you will have a new terminal opened on the
> screen with the geometry that you have choosed.

Hmm, a bit late reply, but I wanted to comment anyway.

The whole point of "open terminal here" is that the terminal would start
*with that directory as the current working dir on the shell* -
otherwise it is just pointless to have that on Nautilus menus. So if I
open ~/Pictures/photos/travel/ in nautilus and would choose the
fictional "open terminal here" shortcut it would open the terminal and
the shell working directory would be ~/Pictures/photos/travel/ .

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::