Re: Slow nautilus start: cdrom

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 19:37, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've noticed that sometimes nautilus starts really slowly. For me it
> seemed like the slow start with Windows' Explorer when it reads the
> volume names from the cdroms. A bit of investigation showed me that it's
> indeed the same cause: nautilus' volume monitor reads after launch (in
> function mount_volume_make_cdrom_name <-- mount_volume_make_name <--
> load_additional_mount_list_info) the volume monitor of inserted cds. If
> the cdrom drive(s) is/are powered down, this takes a few seconds.
>
> IMO we should avoid spinning up the cdrom drive on nautilus launch. I
> vote for speed and would abandon the cdrom volume names for it.

Not being able to show labels for cdroms would be pretty bad. However,
it might be possible to do the reading asynchronously, so that it
doesn't affect the startup speed.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted moralistic househusband who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's
a ditzy mutant femme fatale fleeing from a Satanic cult. They fight crime!